Friday, July 13, 2012


It is well

Almost a week ago on sunday the 3rd of June, my country Nigeria was plunged into mourning as a plane carrying 153 passengers ended up in an apt building while it was attempting to land at the airport in Lagos. I was in Dubai @ the time and was preparing to fly to Bangkok Thailand.  Once the news broke, first instinct was check on family and close friends who frequented the route, and those were the longest hours of my life as I received news of safety from these folks. But I couldn't help but notice how scared I had become of flying and when my foot touched land, I was the happiest person in the world.

I however, have been in a sad state of mind and have cried in the still and quietness of my solitude each day as I ask God questions of why he allowed such a catastrophe that somehow has affected every citizen and affiliate of my great country. As I pondered on this occurrence, obviously many other Nigerians pondered and wondered along same lines: life is fickle and the next minute is not assured or Not.

I was thrown into a conundrum because my Christian faith and covenant with God promises life, and I'm guessing many people aboard that aircraft or even those in their houses or those involved in the bomb blast at a church in Bauchi that same day shared that belief: so why then did it happen? 

Numerous conversations ensued but then one struck a chord,  wether we live or die is Christ: our entity is in him and that he chooses us and decides what happens to and with us. And that we can not decipher the workings of his mind and as a very dear friend puts it:" his sovereignty tops every law, every morality, every right".  And I was reminded by this same friend the scripture Is 20:12 that already reminds us that there is no searching of Gods wisdom.

My quest continued and daily he gave me a new word: but 1 corinthians 2:16a wowed me further: " for who hath known the mind of the lord that he may instruct him"? And just goes to buttress the fact and truth that Gods sovereignty and ability to make decisions that concern us as individuals, families , nations and the world trumps our feelings, emotions and need for closure. We just need to yield completely to his will knowing that somehow it works together for our good( Romans 8:23-39).

As I read and I'm wowed , I can't help but think of how difficult the absorption of this may be for those directly involved, but like ps 39:4( teach me to number my days cos my life is fleeting) and Job 8:9(our days on earth are like a shadow) puts it, we are not assured of living for ever, the onus therefore rest on us to live our lives thankful for every day, cherishing every experience, relishing moments with family, friends and loved ones and in all staying connected to our source of life(God), so when life is snuffed out of us, we can be sure of eternity with him.

To the victims I pray rest, to their families, friends and loved ones I pray succor and peace. And to everyone hurting and in despair from loosing or @ the verge of loosing a loved one, stay encouraged, it's all part of a bigger plan. We have hope that worketh patience in us that God has us all figured out, hard as it may seem to grasp right now.

It is well!!!

Seleipiri Iboroma Akobo
June 8th, 2012

1 comment:

Izzie said...

Wow...I stay encouraged..thanks for this boo